Summer, my least favorite season weather-wise but the best season when it comes to fruits. Berries, melons and stone fruits are at an abundance during the summer months. So for fruit lovers like myself this is the best time to enjoy them. This week my local market had a plethora of fruits that were too pretty to pass on, so I grabbed a few to make a summer fruit salad for our Fourth of July celebration.
This fruit salad is so easy and quick to make, that this can be an on going dish throughout the summer. Being down here in South Florida, it wouldn’t be a bad idea. This salad works best when the fruit aren’t at the the ripest, but ripe fruits works well too. What I love about this salad is that my family sees a fruit salad, but I see a bowl of fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins that does the body good.
The health benefits for these four fruits are pretty amazing. Apricots is known to help treat anemia, boosts metabolism, and maintain healthy skin. Nectarines boost the immune system, promotes normal function of cells and tissue and helps with the digestive system. Blueberries and raspberries helps with memory and reduces heart disease risk and fights cancer. With benefits like these, I’ll take another bowl!
Check out the recipe below:
Berries Apricot and Nectarine Fruit Salad
- 2 large nectarines
- 3 fresh apricots
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/3 cup raw honey or sugar
- juice of a lemon
- 1/3 cup of orange juice
- Wash the nectarines, apricots, blueberries and raspberries and pat dry with a paper napkin.
- Dice the apricots and nectarines. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add the honey,lemon juice and orange juice and stir till combine. Set aside half of the mixture.
- Pour the nectarine and apricots into the bowl that contains the citrus glaze. With a spoon coat the fruits with the glaze till evenly combined.
- Pour in the blueberries and combine evenly.
- Top with raspberries and pour the remaining citrus glaze over.
- Garnish with mint
- Refrigerate till served.