Hey y’all I know its been a while, but I’m so excited to share this recipe with you guys! This past summer my sister took a trip to New Orleans, and got a chance to stop by the famous Cafe du Monde. One sight of those beignets, I knew I just had to try them for myself. Unfortunately taking a trip to New Orleans was out of the question, so I set out to get my hands on some beignets one form or the other. After much research I decided instead of buying a pre-made mix from Cafe du Monde ,I would make one from scratch. Fresh ingredients are always better in my opinion and when you get to calculating the cost. It’s way cheaper and there no need to wait for the mailman. Once you see how easy this recipe is , you’ll wonder why you haven’t tried these. Check out the recipe below.
Classic Basic Beignets
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 4 -6 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- confectioners’ sugar
- Combine the water, milk and egg in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and the sugar and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Drop the batter by spoonfuls into hot oil and fry, turning two or three times, until they are golden brown and puffy.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
P.S. : I suggest dusting more confectioner sugar on the beignets, it truly makes a difference. The more the better!