Every now and then I get a little sweet tooth and though it’s so easy to grab something out of the pantry. There’s just something about a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies that hits the spot. With the copious amount of spicy hot chocolate I’ve been making over the holidays, I’ve gotten so accustomed to spicy hot chocolate that I wanted to make a Crispy Spicy Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookie reminiscent of it.
Biting into one of these cookies is like taking a sip of spicy hot chocolate, its literally the perfect balance of spicy and sweet. With just enough spiciness to make things interesting but not so much that you can’t enjoy the other flavors presented in this cookie. You can add more heat if you can take it, or reduce it just a bit. Also this recipe doesn’t require a stand mixer and wait time for the dough to rest, so it’s quick and easy to make on a weeknight. Check out the recipe below:
Crispy Spicy Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 stick Butter (Melted)
- ½ tsp Ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp Ground ginger
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg (Whisked)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Dark chocolate 65% (chopped) (Chopped)
- Red Pepper Flakes (For decoration)
- Preheat oven to 375 degree. Line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the cinnamon, cayenne, and ginger and stir for about a minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
- When the butter is cool, pour the butter into a bowl. Add sugar and combined together till smooth. Add the whisked egg and vanilla extract and mix till combine. Add the flour and mix till it forms a dough. Add the chocolate and fold into the dough.
- Using a tablespoon measure scoop the dough and form a ball with the dough with your hands. Place the formed cookie ball on the sheet. With the palm of your hand flatten the cookie just a bit to form a small circular cookie shape. Sprinkle red pepper flakes for added decoration.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes. Rotate baking sheet halfway until golden. When cool to touch transfer to wire racks to cool.