Whether you call them Salmon Croquettes or Salmon Patties, both varieties are guaranteed to be delicious. They are perfect for entertaining or meal prepping for breakfast, lunch or dinner. With a few ingredients and seasoning, you can easily make these croquettes and pan fry or bake to your liking. Here is what you’ll need:
Salmon- Fresh, Frozen, or Canned Salmon will work for this recipe. If you are using fresh or frozen salmon, You will need to bake the fish for 12-15 minutes and remove any bone when flaking the fish. If using canned, you will only need to remove bone and skin prior to mixing the other ingredients.
Eggs and Breadcrumbs– Both are used as binders to keep the patties together. I used Plain Panko breadcrumbs but you can use regular breadcrumbs or your favorite breadcrumb replacement.
Bell Peppers, Onions, and Garlic– This is optional, but highly recommended for maximum flavor aside from other seasonings. Fresh is preferred but frozen will work if you have that on hand. I used frozen tri-color bell pepper mix, thawed, and diced prior to cooking. If you don’t have any on hand, garlic powder and onion powder and your favorite seasoning will work.
Check out the recipe below:
- 1 lbs Salmon ( Fresh, Frozen or Canned)
- ½ medium White onion (diced)
- ½ medium Bell pepper (diced)
- 3 cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 2 eggs (whisked)
- 1-2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Cilantro (handful)
- 1 Parsley (handful)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Juiced lemon
- Salt (to taste)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- Creole Seasoning (to taste)
- Old Bay Seasoning (to taste)
- Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
- No Salt Seasoning (to taste)
- Oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Clean and rinse your salmon and pat dry. Marinate your salmon with half the juice of a lemon, a pinch of salt, and black pepper. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and coat with half a tablespoon of oil. Lay the salmon on the parchment paper, add no-salt seasoning and drizzle half a tablespoon of oil ensuring the whole salmon is coated. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Dice up the bell pepper, onion, and garlic. In a medium-sized pan on medium heat add a tablespoon of olive oil and sauteed the veggies till caramelized. Set aside and cool. Remove the salmon from the oven and with a fork, flake the salmon while removing bones if any. If using canned salmon remove the bones as much as possible.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the salmon, veggies, chopped cilantro and parsley, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, old bay seasoning, no-salt seasoning, creole seasoning, red- pepper flakes, half the juice of a lemon and whisked eggs, combined and form into patties.
- In a medium-sized skillet add oil and fry the patties 5 minutes each side or until golden brown. Let the patties sit on some paper towel and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve. If you want to bake without frying, bake at 425 degrees for 13 to 15 minutes.