I love a good one-pot pasta recipe, but sometimes you just need to do it the old school way. This week’s recipe requires more pots, blanching and a whole lot of dicing, but it’s so worth the extra effort. This dish came about on a hot summer day when I didn’t want to go to the grocery store, and all I had on hand was frozen shrimp and fresh asparagus. With the help of some pantry basics, Shrimp Asparagus Penne was on the menu.
Check out the recipe below:
Shrimp and Asparagus Penne
- 1 Pound of Wild Caught Shrimp (fresh or frozen)
- 1 box of Penne pasta
- 12 oz of Asparagus
- 1 cup of spinach (optional)
- 1 jar of your favorite Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 of an onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced or diced
- 1 small bell pepper red or green, diced
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 a juice of Lemon
- Salt and Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning (optional)
- No Salt Seasoning of your choice to your liking (I used Trader Joes’ 21 Seasoning salute)
- Peel and devein or thaw and clean your shrimp. Run clean water over the shrimp and pat dry.
- Depending on your preference, Cut the shrimp into bite-size pieces. (This step is optional)
- In a small bowl add the shrimp the old bay seasoning, salt, and pepper, a tablespoon of oil and juice of half a lemon. Let marinate for 2-5 minutes.
- Dice the onion, garlic and bell pepper and set aside. Chop the asparagus to match the length of the pasta, set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and blanch the asparagus for about 2 minutes. Remove the asparagus and put into a bowl of ice water and set aside. In the same large pot add the Penne and cook according to package. Drain well
- In a large skillet over medium heat. Pour a tablespoon of olive oil and cook the onions, garlic, and peppers. Add a dash of salt, pepper, no-salt seasoning, and red pepper flakes. When the onions and peppers have softened, add the shrimp and let cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the blanched asparagus and spinach, combine evenly and let shrimp cook fully till pink for about 2-4 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and stir evenly. Add the pasta and combine. Let simmer for about 2- 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.