I love a good one pot pasta recipe, but sometimes you just need to do it the old school way. This week’s recipe requires more pots, blanching and whole lot of dicing, but it’s so worth the extra effort. This dish came about on a hot summer day when I didn’t want to go to the grocery store, and all I had on hand was frozen shrimps and fresh asparagus. With the help of some pantry basics, Shrimp Asparagus Penne was on the menu.
Check out the recipe below:
Shrimp Asparagus Penne
- 1 Pound of Wild Caught Shrimp (fresh or frozen)
- 1 box of Penne pasta
- 12 oz of Asparagus
- 1 cup of spinach (optional)
- 1 jar of your favorite Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 of an onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced or diced
- 1 small bell pepper red or green, diced
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 a juice of Lemon
- Salt and Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning (optional)
- No Salt Seasoning of your choice to your liking (I used Trader Joes’ 21 Seasoning salute)
- Peel and devein or thaw and clean your shrimp. Run clean water over the shrimp and pat dry.
- Depending on your preference, Cut the shrimp into bite size pieces. (This step is optional)
- In a small bowl add the shrimp the old bay seasoning, salt and pepper, a tablespoon of oil and juice of half a lemon. Let marinate for 2-5 minutes.
- Dice the onion, garlic and bell pepper and set a side. Chop the asparagus to match the length of the pasta, set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and blanch the asparagus for about 2 minutes. Remove the asparagus and put into a bowl of ice water and set aside. In the same large pot add the Penne and cook according to package. Drain well
- In a large skillet over medium heat. Pour a tablespoon of olive oil and cook the onions, garlic and peppers. Add a dash of salt, pepper, no salt seasoning and red pepper flakes. When the onions and peppers has softened, add the shrimp and let cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the blanched asparagus and spinach, combine evenly and let shrimp cook fully till pink for about 2-4 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and stir evenly. Add the pasta and combine. Let simmer for about 2- 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.