With summer coming to a close pretty soon, I’ve been trying to enjoy every bit of it I can. So to keep the summer festivities going I made plans to have a summer picnic with a basket filled of deliciousness. Unfortunately South Florida weather is unpredictable and our plans got rained on so we kept the picnic indoors.
On the menu was Salmon burgers with a Za’atar yogurt sauce. Roasted Eggplants and Tomatoes and a Kale and Peach salad. The salmon was store bought but I made a Za’atar yogurt sauce that was pretty amazing and topped them with red onions and sliced avocado. I searched high and low for Za’atar and I was able to find it at Whole Foods. It wasn’t cheap but every time I use it, I’m happy that I did. A few dashes of Za’atar, Trader Joes’s 21 seasoning and onion salt mixed in some Greek yogurt gives you the most tastiest yogurt sauce for sandwiches, wraps or dips.
Up next was The Roasted Eggplants and Tomatoes dish. This was my first time making this but it wont be the last. At most it only requires you to buy two ingredients if you have the basics in your kitchen. Such as oil, salt , garlic and thyme. Dice up the eggplants(skin on) add the grape tomatoes, oil, herbs and seasoning pop it in the oven for about 50 minutes. Top with Feta when done and wah-lah: Roasted Eggplants and Tomatoes.
Last but not least, the Kale and Peach Salad. This is basically a Peach Salsa Salad without the cilantro and jalapenos. If you’re feeling adventurous by all means add them. My local grocery store was out of cilantro so I did it without. The jalapenos on the other hand I felt that might be a disaster waiting to happen, so i did without as well. Next time I will definitely add some Chile Lime Shrimp as added protein and spice. Check out the recipe below:
Kale and Peach
- 1 bag of Kale
- 2 medium size peaches
- 1/2 of a medium sized cucumber
- 1/4 of a medium sized red onions
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes
- 1/4 of a yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup of Feta or your favorite cheese
Oil-Free Citrus Herb Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup of Apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Orange Juice
- Juice of one Lemon
- 2 teaspoon of Sugar ( I used Coconut Palm)
- Salt and pepper
- 6-8 Dashes of Trader Joe’s 21 seasoning or your choice of salt free seasoning
- 6-8 dashes of Trader Joes Onion Salt or 1/2 minced shallot
- Wash all the ingredients. Pat dry and set aside.
- Dice the peaches and cucumber set aside.
- Slice the the red onions and let sit in a bowl of water with ice.
- Rough chop the kale and cut the tomatoes in halves or keep whole (Up to your personal preference).
- Take the onions out of the water.Pat dry and diced
- In a bowl or mason jar add all the ingredients for the salad dressing recipe. Mix/shake till combined, Taste and adjust seasoning as desired
- In a large bowl toss all the ingredients with the dressing. Top with Feta and serve.