Last year one of my new year’s resolutions was to cook more home-cook meals and I gotta say I kept my resolution well into the new year. I cooked just about every week, twice a week, and have come to enjoy it. But this year I decided to challenge myself in an area I have never challenged myself in. As a lacto -pescatarian, I rely heavily on dairy for a good portion of my protein. So I decided for this year’s resolution I will go non-dairy at least three times a week minimum.
So to get a jump start on things, I’ve been looking into different alternative milk products to see which one is the best fit for me. My mid-morning snack at work usually consists of yogurt and nuts and depending on the brand I can easily get about 13 grams of protein, so I wanted to keep whatever I choose in that ballpark. Finding a high protein alternative was no small feat, but I found one that not only is it high in protein but also free of soy ( my personal preference).
Kite Hill has Greek yogurt that consists of 10 grams of protein and a European- style yogurt that consist of 5 grams of protein. The yogurts are made with artisan almond milk and also contains probiotic live culture like your standard dairy yogurt. I’m not going to lie and sit here and say that you can’t tell the difference between Kite Hill yogurt and regular yogurt. But with the right toppings and mix-ins, you can make a tasty snack or breakfast that can come close to the original and you won’t be hungry in an hour due to the lack of protein. I recently came up with a combo that is pretty awesome, if I must say so myself and it has truly made day two of no dairy a walk in the park for me.
Check out the recipe below:
Blueberry Coconut Almond Yogurt Parfait
- 1 cup Kite Hill Vanilla flavored European- style yogurt or Kite Hill Plain Unsweetened Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup Fresh Blueberries
- ¼ cup Coconut Almond Granola
- 2 tbsp Coconut Palm Sugar or sweetener of your choice (optional)
- 1 tsp Splash of Vanilla Extract (optional)
- In a small cup or parfait bowl spread the yogurt evenly to make the first layer. If using unsweetened yogurt, mix in your favorite sweetener and the vanilla extract to your yogurt before adding to the bowl.
- Add the blueberries to the cup or bowl and spread it out evenly over the yogurt to make an even layer.
- Add the granola, enough to cover all of the blueberries.
- Repeat the layers till the cup or bowl is filled.
Happy New Year and Happy Eating!