You ever gone to a restaurant and tried something and just thought to yourself: I can make this at home! Most of the time I really don’t have the patience to attempt to recreate a dish, but these Fried Cauliflower wings seemed easy enough to try. In fact I only purchased two products to make this dish, a bag of pre-cut cauliflower and a bottle of General Tso’s sauce. Everything else was literally kitchen basics. My rule of thumb when experimenting with recipes is spend less first and if it turns out well next time, splurge. For a vegan option, you can substitute the eggs with a half cup of cornstarch and use your favorite vegan sauce. These wings are so easy to make that you might be tempted to make these every week. They are great alone but also taste great with a side of vegetable rice or quinoa. Whatever you decide, these wings are a must try! Check out the recipe below:
General Tso’s Cauliflower “Wings”
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup water (add more if needed)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoon of salt free seasoning (optional)
- few dashes of smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 cup of General Tso’s sauce
- oil for frying
- scallions for garnish
- Preheat fryer oil to 375 degrees.
- Wash and Cut the cauliflower into small bite size florets.(set aside)
- Mix half of the flour with the eggs, salt, baking powder,red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon of salt free seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper as well as a few dashes of smoked paprika and water until evenly combine for a thick batter. Add more water if needed. (set aside)
- In a large plate mix the other half of the flour with 1 teaspoon of salt free seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper as well as a few dashes of smoked paprika.
- Place the cauliflower in the batter,coat and shake of excess batter. Then transfer the cauliflower to the the seasoned flour mix and coat. Shake of the excess flour. (You can repeat this step again, if you want it double breaded.)
- Fry for a few minutes on each side, repeating sides several times if necessary until you get a nice golden brown color.
- Remove the cauliflower and let sit on paper napkin to soak excess oil.
- In a small saucepan heat up the General Tso sauce. Pour the sauce in a bowl. Toss the cauliflower in the sauce until their evenly coated. Garnish with scallions.
- Serve and enjoy