On my last blog post, I mentioned that I been experimenting with oatmeal as a cost-effective ingredient for breakfast. Out of all the different ways possible to make oatmeal this is by far my favorite way. These raspberry chia jam oat bars make the best on-the-go breakfast. They’re sweet, satiating, easy to make and easy on the pockets. With the standard kitchen basics such as flour, oats, oil, and your favorite sweetener, there’s really not much to buy to make these.
I’ve done this recipe with fresh and frozen fruits and I personally prefer the fresh version but frozen is great and at times more cost-effective. I’ve made this recipe a few times, one on the decadent side by adding butter and more sugar. It was the best version but realistically wasn’t the healthiest to eat daily. So I swapped out the butter for oil and yogurt and added chia seeds for more fiber. This turned out to be not too sweet and not too fattening that I couldn’t eat it every morning. And boy did I eat it every morning! Check out the recipe below:
Raspberry Chia Jam Oat Bars
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 (6-ounce container) of plain Greek yogurt
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 8 tbsp chia seed
- Juice from one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium-size saucepan, add the raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir every 2 minutes to break up the raspberries. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chia seeds and let thickened to your liking. Remove from heat and let cool at room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, oatmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder, combine evenly and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the oil and yogurt.
- Add the oil and yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients mix and combine evenly to form a crumbly mixture. Add more yogurt if the consistency is a bit dry.
- Firmly pat down the crumbly oat mixture into the lined pan.
- Spread the raspberry jam evenly on top of the oat mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumbly oat mixture on top of the jam and pat lightly to make stick.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Cut into square and enjoy.