Nothing says brunch like Chicken and Waffles and Shrimp and Grits. But I like to introduce you to a new concept: Shrimp and Waffles, A combo that is not seen too often in the brunch world but it definitely should be. Not with the usual lightly confectioner waffles but a savory one. Savory Cassava Corn Waffles that seasoned to your liking with a light parmesan taste topped with some spicy tomato-based Shrimp Creole paired with avocado, syrup, and fruit.
A nice mixture of savory and sweet, with the maple syrup or simply spicy and cool with the seasoned avocado. This recipe is easy to make and makes the best brunch option for your next at-home brunch. The waffles also make a great meal prep for your weekday breakfast as well. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Also if you haven’t done so: Check out Forksandstraws.com Youtube channel, this recipe is one of the recent “What I eat in a day” episodes. I hope you like and subscribe!
Check out the recipe below:
Cassava Corn Waffles with Shrimp Creole
Cassava Corn Waffle Batter
- 2 cups Cassava Flour
- 2 cups Corn Flour or Fine Corn Meal
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups Buttermilk
- 8 tbsp Butter (Melted)
- 4 tsp Baking powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Eggs (Whisked)
- ¼ tsp No salt seasoning (Add to your liking)
- ¼ tsp Onion salt (Add to your liking)
- Cooking Spray
- ½ pound Wild caught Shrimp Fresh or Frozen
- ½ Red Bell pepper (diced)
- ½ Orange Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 cup of Grape Tomatoes (halved)
- ½ Red Onion (diced)
- 3 stalks of Celery (diced)
- 3 Garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- tsp Blackened Seasoning (Add to your liking)
- Pinch of Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper (cracked)
- ¼ tsp No Salt Seasoning (Add to your liking)
- ¼ tsp Onion Salt (Add to your liking)
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes (Add to your liking)
- Juice of ½ a Lemon
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Water (use to your liking for the consistency you like)
For the Waffles
- For the Waffles. In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients (Cassava Flour, Corn Flour, Parmesan Cheese, Baking powder, Salt, No Salt Seasoning and Onion Salt. Whisk till evenly combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk and cooled melted butter together. Once evenly mixed, add the mixture to the dry ingredients until it creates a thick batter that's not too lumpy. Wrapped with plastic and let sit in the fridge for 15minutes.
- Heat your waffle iron, Spray both sides of the iron pan and add about 2-3 spoonfuls of batter to the middle of the iron but don't overcrowd the iron. Close the lid, and cook according to your waffle iron's instructions until golden brown. Keep the waffles warm in the oven, till ready to serve. Makes about 19, Four-inch waffles.
For the Shrimp:
- Dice up the red and orange bell pepper, red onion, garlic, celery, and grape tomatoes and set aside. Peel and devein the shrimp or defrost your shrimp in a bowl of water. Run water over the shrimp to clean off any impurities and lay the shrimp on a plate and pat dry with a napkin.
- Squeeze the juice of a half a lemon, add olive oil, salt, Blackened seasoning, your favorite no-salt seasoning, and onion salt to the shrimp. Flip the shrimp and season to your liking. Massage the seasoning to the shrimp and let marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- In a hot medium-size skillet, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the shrimp one by one giving the shrimp enough space to cook evenly in the pan. Save the marinade for later. When the shrimp starts to get a pink color, Remove the shrimp and set aside in a small bowl.
- In the same hot skillet add the diced bell pepper, onion, garlic, red onion, celery, and tomatoes, let cook till soft. Pour the marinade from earlier and let it cook down for about 2minutes. Add about a cup of water and a tablespoon of tomato paste and combine evenly.
- As the sauce starts to thicken up add the shrimp back in and stir occasionally for about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately on top of the warm Cassava Corn waffles.